Pre Course Requirements
You should have everyday PC or Mac skills and be an existing wordpress content editor or administrator or have equivalent working knowledge of WordPress.
Access to an existing WordPress site is assumed but demo site access can be given if necessary – please contact me in advance.
- You will gain a good general understanding of SEO ideas and methods.
- You’ll learn how to plan your SEO and undertake keyword research.
- You will learn how create great pages and posts in WordPress – both technically and in content terms.
- You will learn about good site organisation the difference between pages and posts and the effect of taxonomy on SEO and your site.
- You will learn about some key plugins for SEO and how to use Yoast correctly.
- You will learn about image optimisation in WordPress.
- You will learn how to set up analytics measuring in WordPress to understand your SEO success.
Introduction to SEO
- What is SEO (Search Engine Optimisation)?
- What is SEO success and how to measure it?
- How an engine operates.
Planning your SEO
- Breaking the task into key areas of action.
- Defining a workflow for SEO.
- Identifying key content to work with.
- Defining cornerstone content and content zones.
Key plugins and measuring
- Installing the Yoast plugin.
- Setting up and configuring Yoast.
- Setting up measuring in WordPress.
- Setting up Google Search Console.
- Other good SEO plugins for WordPress.
- Taking care of redirection.
- What tools can you use?
- What makes a great keyword?
- Long-tail vs short-tail terms.
- Factors to consider when choosing terminology.
- Picking the best keywords.
- Considering related terms and ideas.
How an engine works
- Overview of search algorithms.
- Changes and new ideas in SEO.
- About Expertise, Authority and Trust (EAT).
- About penalties and Black Hat SEO.
- Good page structure for SEO.
- Testing your pages/posts outside WordPress?
- Setting the primary phrase in Yoast.
- Working through the traffic lights.
- Assessing reading ease.
- What is the title tag and how important is it?
- What is metadata and how important is it?
- Editing the Snippet in Yoast.
- Advanced snippet settings.
- Site speed and SEO and testing it.
- Setting and changing permalinks.
- Making and editing slugs.
- About redirection.
- About sitemaps and robots.txt.
Images and Video
- Adding images to web pages properly.
- Adding additional image information.
- Considering site speed and images.
- What about images on mobile?
- Adding video by embed vs social source.
- Adding supporting video information.
Working with Links
- What is a backlink?
- Building backlinks.
- Setting up internal links.
- Picking good outbound links.
- Adding a social sharing function.
Questions and Answers
Sorry. No other course information available at the moment.
Please leave a Comment
If you have attended this course or would like to comment on it or join the discusson, please fill in the comments form.
Please note: You must register to add comments and they must be approved before appearing here.